Translate

Saturday, October 2, 2010

RV - the movie - the sequel

Roger here....   This one will be short, but interesting.  It will be funny in about a week, but for right now, it is just interesting.


Dianne and I remember laughing hysterically during the movie, RV, during Robin Williams' first visit to the dump station.  If you saw the movie, you remember when the sewer hose jammed and then blew up like a balloon covering Robin with fecal matter.  Highly unlikely.  Right?  Well, maybe not so much.


We visited the dump station Friday morning, our first stop on the way to Gallup, NM.  I made all the usual dump station connections and pulled the lever to drain the black tank (for non-RVers - the poop-and-pee tank).  I then met Dianne at the back of the motor home to hook up the car while the tank drained -- our usual routine.


THEN, Dianne said "What is that smell?" and ran over to the sewer connection.  She then ran back, looked at me, and said,  "TURN IT OFF!  TURN IT OFF!  TURN IT OFF, NOW!"


The dump station drain had backed up and gallons of liquid crap had gathered in a huge puddle and created a small stream that was flowing down the hill.  I tiptoed around the new stream and made my way to close the lever that stopped the flow.  I said,  "s***!".  Literally.  We would have to report this.  We would have to clean the sewer hose (good to have disposable gloves).  We would have to find another dump station (we had ten days' worth of liquid to dump.  Our former neighbors would not be enjoying their morning coffee outside.


We reported the overflow to a passing campground worker, and then to a park ranger.  The ranger assured us it was not our fault -- that people (I used to be a JH principal, so I knew what "people" he meant) had recently been throwing rocks into the drain so it would back up.  Those stinkers :-)


The only photo here is of the second, and successful, dumping at the other dump station.  Dianne refused to take a picture at the scene of the crime - TMI.   (Way, way, way TMI!! -- D)

4 comments:

Gin and Syl said...

It's amazing how things like that are funny when they happen to other people. I sure do hope we can laugh later when it happens to us.

Syl

Karen and Al said...

I think it may take you longer than a week to laugh :)

Margie and Roger said...

Well, they say it will eventually happen. Now that it has happened to you, hopefully it never will again. YUCK!!! 10 days is a lot of YUCK!!

Linda said...

Oh my goodness!!! This is the first time I have ever heard of a dump station backing up!! What can I say, better you guys and us, just kidding. Are you laughing yet? We had a tour guide once say, if things don't go as expected, then you have a great story, and you do!!