Translate

Monday, August 12, 2019

Indiana Memories

Steak and Shake Milkshakes --- one of our favorite places to eat
Roger here....  We have arrived in central Indiana where Dianne and I grew up, went to school, married, raised our daughters, developed friendships, bought homes, worked, and then retired.  This is where we lived for most of our lives until retirement.  We will be here for several days.


We  stayed at the KOA - Anderson - Muncie.  It was not as convenient (location wise) as our normal central Indiana location, but it was much nicer for us now that we are in a smaller RV.  We could enjoy the outdoor areas here.  


A very nice dog park was located right across from our Airstream.  When we sat outside, Bandido often picked up his blue ball and "pointed" toward the park.


The park had many outdoor-related amenities --- turtle pond, large lake for swimming, grassy open fields.  One of our favorites was the hiking trail through the woods.




White River paralleled the trail on one side.  It was a nice, shady, rather long walk for the four of us.




Turtle Pond


A Large Open Grassy Meadow Behind the Sycamore Trees


Except for the ensuing neck ache, it was also a peaceful place to take a nap.

Memories --- Indiana food

We will return to our keto diets when we return to our home in Texas; however, during this time, when there was something special, we did not deny ourselves.  For instance, breaded tenderloins in other parts of the country are not the same as those prepared in Indiana.  Neither is corn on the cob.  We were bad :-(.

The opening picture shows two milkshakes from a Steak and Shake franchise.  We do not have Steak and Shake in south Texas, nor do we have milkshakes as yummy as these.

What's this!!!!!!!



We have sampled pizza all over the country.  We like all of it.  However, there is no pizza better than a pizza from Pizza King.  On our first night at the campground, after a travel day, we were able to have one delivered to our site.  We need to get out of Indiana before we are tempted to get another one.



Friends....

We always try to see some of the people who have been important to us when we return to Indiana.  One morning I had breakfast with three colleagues (Jim, Mike, Harry) from the central office at Hamilton Southeastern Schools where I worked for 37 years.  One afternoon I had lunch with my good friend Brian who was my partner as a junior high school principal.

Jim and Debbie were our next door neighbors.  Debbie also worked for Hamilton Southeastern Schools.  They took us to a restaurant on a popular reservoir for lunch (breaded tenderloin time).  We relaxed in their back yard later that afternoon.


Why am I always the shortest person in any of these group shots?

A very special moment happened unexpectedly.  Dianne and I were sitting outside at the RV site when a man on a motorcycle pulled up.  I got up to calm the dogs when the man said, "Roger?"

I did not recognize him.  He then told me that he was Jody, one of my favorite students.  I had not seen him since 1979. I was his seventh grade science teacher.  I was also his high school swimming and diving coach.  I can still visualize his perfect "forward 1 1/2 in pike position".  Jody had heard that I was in the area.  He knew that we now had a very recognizable Airstream.  He decided to try to find me.  I am so blessed that he was able to do so --- so many good memories from our past lives.  This was definitely a highlight.



Reunion...


Neal, Roger, Dianne, Laurie
Laurie and Neal were teachers in two of the buildings where I was a principal.  When Laurie learned that I would be in the area, she organized an evening in their home with many of the educators with whom I had the privilege of working over the span of 37 years.  It was so nice of them to

organize this and offer their home so we could all reminisce.



Needless to say, I was honored and quite honestly overwhelmed.  These educators (teachers, guidance counselors, secretaries, teaching assistants, and a very special superintendent) did so many wonderful things for their students.  I was blessed.  We were truly a family. 


Debbie, Sharon, Valerie, Lois
  





























Rita, Sandy, Sue, Lois














Teensy Weensy Trailer Tips.....

My hair is stick straight and will not curl without major effort.  



So taking along both my curling hair dryer and curling iron type styler was essential.   But where to put them so that they are out of the way and not having to be moved every time we're in the bathroom?  I found a Command Hook spiral hanger and attached it to the bathroom wall.  It holds both curler thing-eys plus my hair brush.  It also hides behind the shower curtain so that when I'm not using them, they're out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

We will still be in Indiana for a while.  In the next post we will have some Indiana lake time with our friends, Jay and Nancy.


Pet Picture of the Day...


Whenever Dianne goes into the Airstream, even for a moment, Poquita stares at the door until she returns.  


She loves her mommy, and her mommy loves her!


No comments: